This unique opportunity offers varied responsibilities making a real difference to the lives of older people in our community. You will be responsible for safely transporting our members from their home to our community centres in the morning and afternoon, assisting them on and off our buses, and welcoming them to our resources. Upon arrival as our Activities Assistant, you will be running and supporting with activities such as chair based-exercise classes, discussion groups, card games and board games. You will be expected to assist with tasks within the persons care plan that includes personal care.
Working a 4 day week, 32 hours per week on Mondays Tuesdays Wednesday and Thursdays.
Your day begins 8 am collecting our members from their homes and transporting them to our community centre for a day of social activities before returning them home.
This role is for 32 hours per week.
What you will be doing:
- Providing safe and effective driving and transport services for older people and people living with dementia
- Ensuring vehicles are maintained to a proper standard of road worthiness and cleanliness and coordinating maintenance and recovery.
- Engaging with members throughout the journey to put them at ease and offer any reassurance.
- Assisting passengers to agreed standards and procedures to and from their home.
- Raising any safeguarding concerns to enhance the quality of life of older people.
- Running and taking part in activities and programmes in a culturally specific Jewish Day service for older people, people living with dementia and at associated programming and events.
- Working together with programming teams to set up technology to support members taking part in activities at home – such as online social discussion groups and exercise classes.
- Confidently raising and reporting safeguarding concerns
- Providing, personal care duties, as indicated in a person’s care plan
- Taking part in care plan meetings with colleagues, internal Social Work colleagues, relatives, and external agencies.
- Promoting the Montessori approach to dementia care.
- Supporting members to coordinate and organise their transport arrangements to and from the centre to include assisting with booking and managing dial-a-ride, other community transport private hire and public transport.
What you will need:
- Midas (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) or willingness to undertake this training.
- Midas PATS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme – passenger assistance training) or willingness to undertake this training.
- Experience working with older and/or disabled people in a professional or personal capacity
- Experience of delivering activities in a similar social care environment.
- Experience socialising with or talking to older, disabled, or people living with dementia, in a personal or professional capacity
Please note to be a minibus driver legal requirements state you have to be over 21.