Tarmac is the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Our innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today, but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future.
We are currently seeking a Development Surveyor to join our team. This is a fantastic opportunity to work on one of the largest strategic land portfolios in the UK and develop your capabilities across numerous sectors (residential, commercial, natural capital and leisure).
In this role you will have autonomy to set the strategy for your projects, and be given the resources to implement and deliver them. In addition, you will work as part of an experienced, professional Land Development team (comprising Chartered Town Planners & Surveyors), and have opportunity to contribute to team and company-wide projects and development strategies. You will also work closely with colleagues in our Strategic Planning and Asset Management teams to identify opportunities from Tarmac’s extensive operational landholdings, and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Tarmac’s Land Development Team is innovative, high achieving and successful, delivering numerous projects ranging from a 2500 home new settlement, to a rural business centre, or a 1 million square feet logistics hub. You will also be involved in identifying and unlocking biodiversity and renewable opportunities, as well as working on leisure and recreation proposals.
No two days in this job are the same – this role will enable you to identify and unlock the potential in Tarmac’s extensive landholdings.
Samantha Brooman (MRTPI) joined the team in June 2021 as Development Manager, and says “There really is nothing more interesting, wide ranging or exciting out there. Tarmac’s land bank is fascinating and no two sites are the same”
This role is based remotely, with monthly face to face meetings to be held at one of our sites nationally.
In the role of Development Surveyor you will be responsible for:
- Work with internal and external colleagues to assess, design and deliver development projects in the short, medium and longer term.
- At any one time you could be working on multiple independent development projects, with support & guidance from the Land & Development Team.
- Projects range from conversions to delivery of strategic housing allocations in the green belt, and you will lead on specific independent projects. Previous experience of this is desirable, but not essential, and this role offers an opportunity to experience on a variety of projects, both in development type and scale.
- In addition to independent development projects the Development Surveyor role will support team-wide projects & act as part of a wider technical team
You will also:
- Prepare development strategies using a variety of information sources to do so.
- Undertake due diligence in relation to landholdings, factoring in the multi-discipline nature of land & development, and also contractual due diligence in relation to option and promotional agreements.
- Carry out financial appraisals to support development strategies.
- Hold financial responsibility for applying for project development funds, accountable for budgeting, forecasting and managing project finances.
The ideal candidate for the role of Development Surveyor will have experience of:
- Possesses a relevant degree
- Possesses post-graduate or qualification experience in planning and/or development
- Will be willing to complete further training or development towards post-graduate professional qualification
- Be personable and enjoy networking
- Be willing to travel for work – including overnight stays
- Ideally possess knowledge of the Planning System & Local Authority framework
- Ideally have experience navigating the Planning System – however this is not essential
Salary: Competitive plus benefits
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/111/2611