Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
Operating out of strategically located centres, with a large directly employed workforce and extensive plant fleet we have the flexibility and resources to respond swiftly to clients’ needs. Our experience embraces both the public and private sectors and includes major and minor capital projects, framework and term maintenance contracts, partnering and joint venture alliances. As a regional company, we have an inherent interest in the social, economic and environmental well-being of the areas within which we live and work. We invest in these local communities through every project we undertake.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
A key client of the Company is the South Wales Trunk Road Agency who we have a strong long-standing relationship having been employed as the Contractor of choice in South East Wales region for CIRCA 12years. The region that covers is from M4 J34 to the Severn Bridge, up to the Powys/Herefordshire borders and finishes at Tredegar Top, Merthyr. We cover the M4, A48 (M), M48, A4232, A465, A40, A449 and the A4042. The Framework has an annual turnover between £10-15million per annum.
We are currently looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Engineer to join the SWTRA Pre-Construction Team, reporting to the Pre-Construction Manager and the Framework Manager. The SWTRA works are located predominantly South East Wales within a commutable distance of both Cardiff and Abergavenny. We welcome applications from candidates who are within a commutable distance or willing to relocate.
As the Pre-Construction Engineer, you’ll be involved in the development of buildable solutions pre-construction, drive best practice and escalate any issues to your line manager. You will be responsible for the preparation of construction cost estimates, quotes and tender programmes. On undertaking, you will ensure full compliance with safety, environmental, quality and business policies and procedures.
In this role you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
- Primary role is to assist the Pre-Construction Manager in planning, programming and pricing works awarded on the SWTRA Framework.
- Liaise with the construction team to develop the programme and price in line with their desired construction methodology.
- Liaise with sub-contractors to obtain quotations and programme input for specialist services.
- Review the project and target programmes with the Pre-Construction Manager to ensure activities are aligned to the planned sequencing of works, and an awareness of lead times for design and procurement is in place.
- Liaise with Traffic Management providers to obtain target costs for the traffic management layouts required to undertake the works.
- Review TM plans and costs to ensure target costs provided are suitable and correct.
- Undertake construction value reports and report the financial health of the project (at tender).
- Identify any opportunities and risks present within a scheme at tender stage.
- Identify any scope to de-risk schemes wherever possible.
- Attend tender handover meetings to relay the project deliverables, including contract obligations, project scope & methodology, risk & opportunities to the construction team.
- Work collaboratively with the Framework designer to deliver the best solution at the best value.
- Undertake ECI with the Framework designer when requested.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with Clients and Framework designers.
- Effectively manage our subcontract relationships.
- Assist the commercial team, as and when required, with instructed change/ compensation events.
- Take responsibility for managing the resolution of significant problems pre construction and assist with problems that arise on site to develop a suitable and cost effective solution.
- Ensure compliance with the BMS and procurement policies.
- Obtain feedback from the construction team of actual programme durations/ construction outputs for consideration within future tender programmes.
- Understand and comply with your responsibilities outlined within the Occupational Health and Safety Policy Statement.
- Ensure H&S documentation is communicated at tender handover.
- Identify temporary works requirements and ensure designs are suitable and priced correctly.
- Maintain high personal safety and environmental standards in accordance with company policies.
- Ensure scheme drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of works. Formally request missing information in sufficient rime to price the works.
- Keep comprehensive records of pre-construction developments and communicate changes to the wider team as part of the handover process.
- You may also be required to assist with the production of health and safety documentation including Construction Phase Plans and RAMS.
- The ideal candidate should be highly organised to enable the management of several Framework schemes at one time. Good written and verbal communication skills are essential with the ability to tailor the delivery approach to suit the audience.
- Able to demonstrate previous experience managing highway maintenance/upgrade schemes. Knowledge of Traffic Management layouts on High Speed Roads would be advantageous.
- Previous design experience, particularly structures, would be advantageous.
- IT literate and confidence with the use of Microsoft Office is essential, experience using Asta Powerproject preferable.
- Strong customer focus to build lasting relationships with this key Client. The ability to understand the customer’s needs and drive operations to ensure they are met.
- The ability to work as part of team assisting your line manager and working with colleagues in commercial and tendering and the site teams.
- Solid technical and engineering knowledge, including knowledge of MCHW Method of Measurement, and an understanding of buildability requirements. The ability to read drawings and specifications and translate into safe buildable solutions.
- Solid commercial knowledge with an understanding of NEC 3 Contracts, in particular Option B.
- Professional manner with the ability to communicate as appropriate at various levels, technical and non-technical, and attend client meetings.
- Relevant CSCS card would be preferable.
Location: Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/102/1325