As the lead health & safety specialist for the council’s waste and street cleansing service, you will make a difference by monitoring health & safety performance to make sure that statutory requirements are met and that good standards are achieved, setting required actions and support implementation. Working with line managers, you will manage risks and put in place measures and actions to ensure compliance to health & safety procedures are met whilst promoting a positive health & safety culture.
The Waste and Street Cleansing Team is responsible for all aspects of waste collections and disposal, key infrastructure projects and service change and also provides the coordination of multiple projects that support the delivery of our ‘Resource and Waste Strategy 2020 and Beyond’
What will you be doing
- In the role you will be the health & safety expert within the waste service, setting priorities, supporting new implementations, monitoring health & safety performance and ensuring that statutory requirements are met and good standards are achieved against risk, resource and budget requirements.
- Using your expert knowledge, you will provide technical advice and guidance to the team, offering appropriate solutions that are agreed and successfully implemented and consult on issues with wider implications. Offering training and expert advice to colleagues, you will contribute to an effective and technically capable workforce.
- You will influence the preparation of plans and budgets for services, taking account of external developments, priorities and set time scales. This will include building business cases for resource and budget requirements.
- Working on projects alongside operational teams as the health & safety expert, you will identify requirements, set priorities and develop service specific health & safety management plans.
- You will contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures, ensuring they are up to date, relevant and useful, keeping up to date and interpret the latest legislation, regulations and codes of practice and ensure they are applied consistently. In doing so you will ensure corporate health & safety requirements are met.
- Responsible for the preparation and presentation of reports, you will ensure that they are completed on time and meet Council guidelines and are a clear summary of issues and implications.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Health & Safety Team, you will liaise with external stakeholders including enforcement agencies (HSE, Fire Authority, Environment Agency) as well as partner organisations, contractors, local councillors, the general public and Trade Unions.